A few months ago I wrote a list of alternative blog post titles for frazzled parents. Number 11 on that list was 'Five things in the kitchen that don't belong there'. Since I have just finished a marathon, post-breakfast, school-closed-today, Grandad- visiting-so-kids-extra-hyper kitchen clean up, I feel I am in a good position to finally write that post.
Anyone who has even been in my kitchen will confirm that at any given time there are several things in the kitchen that would not usually belong there. I must admit that the children are not always to blame for the state of the place.
Currently, post clean-up, this is what is still hanging around the kitchen.
1. A big shoe box of fabric scraps (craft post coming soon-ish)
2. A brand new girls' sweatshirt. As the blog title suggests, I only have sons. This sweatshirt has been on the windowsill for weeeks, waiting to be wrapped and posted to a little girl for her first birthday. She is now nearing 14 months old. (Georgina, if you are reading this, we are soooo sorry!)
3. A huge DIY book that I gave The Bavarian for is birthday.
4. Two tins of paint that haven't been put away since I finished my last DIY project, repairing and painting a coat hook that I have yet to find the perfect place for.
5. A spinning top that Number Two was given for good behaviour in music class last week.
Luckily I am in a positive frame of mind and see this as proof that the one room in our house where most of life is played out is the kitchen. I'll take the chaos there any day rather than keep it spic and span with a place for everything and everything in its place.