Saturday 29 August 2015

Ten Things You Didn't Know About Me

About a month ago, as I was sitting in Frankfurt airport waiting to board the flight to Dublin, I had a quick browse of Twitter and saw that the very talented Nicola from Simply Homemade Mum had tagged me in a get-to-know-me kind of post. I promptly replied that I would love to take her up on it, began a draft there and then, boarded the flight and never got round to finishing it till now. So, sorry Nicola! You've been on my mind, but my wifi situation in Ireland was, eh, let's say suboptimal. 

Nicola set me ten questions, some of which have proven to be quite challenging for me. But I have enjoyed taking a bit of time to think about myself. So, read on and get to know me better.  

What did you want to be when you were younger?
My earliest career-related memory is of wanting to be a secretary because I loved playing with the filing cabinet in the study. I suppose I about 4 or 5 then. It seems that even then I was tuned into the fact that I have good organisational skilks because now I am a project manager and have been for almost ten years now.

Do you have any hidden talents?
I am a pretty good go cart driver, given that I have only done it twice. In fact the only trophy I have ever won in my life was in a go cart race. This has earned me huge brownie points with my sons.
What do you love most about blogging?
I suppose it is using the writing as a creative outlet and taking the chance to share my recipes, photos, renovation projects, parenting woes, etc. I really like the interaction with other bloggers too but unfortunately I don't have as much time for it as I would like to have.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be? 

That is a very tricky one for me. I think it would have to be an island somewhere. I love the sea but I love the mountains too. Here in Germany we are a day's drive from the sea but close to the Black Forest. At home in Ireland (yes, I still call it home) we are a 15 minute drive from the sea and I do miss that here. Years ago I was in Tasmania and I felt at home instantly because of it being a small island too. There is something very special about islands, I feel.
  

Do you believe that everything happens for a reason, that it’s fate?

I think I do, in a way. I believe you have to make choices and live with them but that whichever way you choose, a path will open up. One of my favourite poems is Robert Frost's The Road Less Taken (I wrote a post about it a few months ago). It is all about chosing your path in life. 


What makes you smile? 

Oh, that is a difficult one to answer. A lot of things make me smile. My three children make me smile an awful lot, but simple things like the smell of the garden after a shower of rain or seeing the first Spring flowers starting to grow often bring a smile to my face too.



What is your middle name? 

I have three! Mary Julia Emir. Hah, and you probably thought Fionnuala was a mouthful in itself!


Spring, Sumer, Autumn or Winter? 
Spring closely followed by Autumn then Summer then Winter. 

What song reminds you of a happy moment in your life? 

The Divine Comedy's Frog Princess always reminds me of heaps of fun times with my oldest pal, Emma.


What would be your perfect meal?

Tapas or a Middle Eastern mezze platter meal at a large table, outdoors in the evening with plenty of friends, wine and candlelight.  With all the children tucked up in bed and sound asleep, needless to say. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

Actually, there is an eleventh thing too. ..
I am thrilled to have made it onto the longlist of parenting and diaspora blogs in the upcoming Irish Blog Awards. If you're a first-time reader here at Three Sons Later, you are very welcome. Feel free to nosey around, get to know me and if you feel like it, leave me a comment or send me a message. I'd love to hear from you.




4 comments:

  1. That's enough names to be getting on with. Why so many? Congratulations on being longlisted. Are we able to vote for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, plenty. It is my nana's name, my dad's nana's name and my confirmation name.
      On the remote chance that I make it to the shortlist, you can vote for me. The shortlist will be opened up to a public vote which will begin on 7th September 2015 and stay open for 2 weeks.

      Delete
  2. Love it Fionnuala :) We're are very lucky to live a 10 minute drive from the sea, my husband in particular loves it. Congrats on the blog awards, fingers crossed for the shortlist!!
    Nicola xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola. Lucky you being so near the sea. I was in Wexford recently while home on holiday. I hadn't been in over 15 years. Lovely piece of the country.

      Delete